On January 1, 2023, the efficiency rating for air conditioners in the southwest region increased from 14 SEER to 15 SEER. All air conditioners installed in California must meet or exceed that new efficiency rating. You’ll notice the effects of these increases if you’re considering an HVAC upgrade this year. The new 2023 SEER regulations for California will guarantee you receive an impressive and highly efficient system that will help you save on energy bills. Learn more about how these efficiency changes will impact you below.
Who Determines the Regulations?
The Department of Energy updates the HVAC efficiency rating requirements every six years to optimize efficiency across the United States. HVAC equipment is rated by how efficiently air is cooled or heated by the units.
- SEER or EER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) is used for air conditioners
- HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) is used for heat pumps
- AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) is used for furnaces
What Are the New California Regulations?
There are two major changes in the 2023 regulations:
1. HVAC rating increases for equipment installed in California homes
- Air conditioner ratings will increase from 14 SEER to 14.3 SEER2 (15 SEER).
- Heat pump ratings will increase from 8.2 HSPF to 7.5 HSPF2 (8.8 HSPF).
- Furnace ratings will increase from 80% to 81% AFUE.
2. More rigorous testing and rating system
- EER, SEER, and HSPF ratings will now be listed as EER2, SEER2, and HSPF2 to reflect the Department of Energy’s more precise rating system for new HVAC units.
How To Check the Efficiency Rating of Your HVAC System
To find the SEER rating of your air conditioning system, you can look at the yellow Energy Guide sticker on the unit or check the manufacturer’s specifications. On the sticker, you’ll see the unit’s SEER2, EER2, or HSPF2 rating (SEER, EER, or HSPF rating if installed before 2023) and how the unit’s energy efficiency compares to similar units.
What If My System Doesn’t Meet the New Regulations?
You do not need immediate action if your AC’s SEER is lower than 15 because the regulations only apply to new systems manufactured and installed in 2023 and later. Remember that if you purchase a new AC in 2023, it will be rated 15 SEER (or 14.3 SEER2) or higher and may cost more than what previous units would have cost.
Choose Atlas HVAC, Inc. for Your 2023 AC Replacement
If you plan to replace any of your heating and cooling equipment this month, it is important you are aware of these efficiency rating changes. Understanding how the changes can affect the cost of your replacement will help you select the best HVAC equipment that will handle your needs and work within your budget. At Atlas HVAC, Inc., we handle all your heating and cooling needs. Contact us today for your new energy-efficient HVAC replacement. Call (877) 452-8527 or click here to request a FREE quote!