It is not unusual to hear that homeowners and their families are experiencing allergies and other symptoms around warm weather season. Usually, this experience is linked to mold built up in the coils in HVAC system. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) the indoor air quality we experience every day is five times worse than the outdoor air quality. Indoor air being so much worse than outdoor air does represent health risks, but indoor air pollution can be improved with an HVAC UV light. The UV light will sterilize mold, bacteria, viruses, and allergens from the air as it cycles the air system.

Remember mold build up does not only affect heath but it also prevents you HVAC system to work efficiently and use more energy, will also cause it to reduce its life time to half of its capacity. A UV light will prevent mold and keep coils clean and unclogged so that your HVAC system can work efficiently and last longer all while also maintaining an improved air quality at home.

Atlas HVAC, Inc. works diligently to provide homeowners with a comfortable, healthier air environment and of course assists to help lower electricity bills. So, if you currently have an HVAC system, watch out for the signs that might be telling you there is mold build-up.

What are the signs?

1. Unusual odors: 

The bizarre and dank smell is most likely a sign that there might be mold in your home’s air ducts. Before you can even see it, you will be able to smell it. Pay attention to the smell around your house. Does it go away when you turn off your air conditioner or heater? (These in some cases share ducts.) If that is the case, your HVAC system might be housing mold.

2. Visible mold: 

Coils in your HVAC system take the moisture out of the air into drip pans; if they are clogged, they become the perfect environment for mold. If you look around your AC system vents, the drip pans, and in the ducts, you may find visible mold build-up.

3. Mold growth is not visible to the naked eye at first.

Mold starts spreading through spores, tiny particles that are not visible. This means if there is mold in your home, you won’t be able to see it until it’s too late. When mold is finally visible, then a professional must get involved, causing you a lot of extra money spent and a lot of extra time spend in unhealthy air environments.

4. Symptoms:

Pay attention to your family, including pets, and if your pets or people around you start experiencing particular symptoms only when the AC is on, there might be mold build up in air ducts. If enough mold is built up around or inside the vents, it can cause reactions similar to allergies like headaches, itchy eyes, irritated nose, nausea, and irritated throat.

Why is mold growing in air ducts? 

Mold loves two things moisture and cool. When you have an environment involving cool temperatures and moisture then you have the perfect home for mold. This place is usually the coils in your HVAC system. If your HVAC system is not equipped with the correct preventative tools, it can easily be a housing mold.  Mold build up will cause your system to clog and not work properly. To prevent mold and keep a healthier air environment at home Atlas HVAC, Inc. recommends adding HVAC UV lights.

The benefits of HVAC UV lights: 

  • Kills mold and bacteria
  • Germs are not spread by the HVAC system
  • Reduces cases of flu and colds and allergens
  • No more funky smells and unpleasant odors
  • Improves cooling efficiency by maintaining cleaner coils. This in turn reduces electricity costs.

How Does Mold Get Into Your AC Unit?

Atlas HVAC, Inc. Believes that HVAC UV lights are essential means in improving, indoor air quality. Contact us at (877) 452-8527 to make sure you breathe the healthiest indoor air.